Does your hair appears frizzy, dull and does not retain moisture? Can you can go 4-5 days and more without washing your hair? if yes then you have dry hair! Curly hair has a natural tendency for dryness because the natural oils in your scalp have a harder time reaching the rest of your hair, unlike straight hair. Dry hair is fragile and can become brittle and easily breakable if not taken care of.
WHAT CAUSES DRY HAIR?
- Weather (hot & cold climate, wind)
- Swimming (chlorine or salty water)
- Washing your hair too often
- Hair dyes, bleach, chemical treatments
- Hot styling tools
- Hormones, age
- Health problems (anorexia, hypoparathyroidism, hypothyroidism, etc…)
HOW TO PREVENT DRY HAIR?
- Less frequent shampoo (for curly hair consider co-wash instead)
- Use hair conditioner
- Use moisturizing styling products (leave-in conditioner, oils, avoid products with alcohol)
- Avoid heat as much as possible (not more than once a week), use a heat protectant, UV hair protectant
- Trim your hair (every 4-5months). There is no solution to dead ends no amount of products and styling will make them better
There are so many hydrating oils out there try and see what works better for your hair:
- Olive oil
- Castor oil
- Coconut oil
- Shea butter oil
- Sesame oil
- Jojoba oil
Mix in a bowl the oils of your choice and warm it up in the microwave. Massage it into your scalp (if you have dry scalp) and hair. Leave it on for 30 mins or more and shampoo.
Hot towel treatment
Improves blood flow and releases toxins. The steam opens up your hair follicles and allows the product to deeply condition and nourish your hair. This also makes your hair shiny!
Step 1: Shampoo your hair well and remove excess water from your hair.
Step 2: Use a hydrating protein mask and apply it all over your hair.
Step 3: Take a hot towel (microfiber towel preferably) and wet it with water. Removes excess water and heat it for 20 seconds in the microwave. Wrap your hair in it and wait until it cools down.
Step 4: Rinse your hair to remove excess product and you’re good to go!
Heating in the winter keeps the air in your home dry. Try to sleep with a humidifier, this will helps protect and prevent your hair from dryness and breakage. Plus you can add essential oils with it making it so soothing and calming!
Drink a lot of water and incorporate foods with omega-3 fatty acids, or take supplements after speaking with your doctor.
Foods rich in omega-3:
- Seafood (salmon, tuna, oysters)
- Nuts and seeds (flaxseeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds)
- Beans (edamame, kidney beans)
- Eggs, milk, yogourt
Establishing a hair routine is strongly recommended to keep your scalp and hair healthy! Alternate your products so your hair does not get used to them and remember dont get discouraged it’s all about trial and error!!